« Home | Looking for treasures... »

The First Treasure

I have many different collections (some people say I'm a packrat) I look for treasures that fit into my collections. The first post I made here said that I would be showing you the treasures I find around Ohio. So, let me show you the first of many treasures to come.



As some of you already may know, I am very into music. Playing music, listening to music, and collecting music related items. Instruments, sheet music, music related photographs and paintings, as well as music recorded on various mediums from wax cylinders and metal music box discs to Cd's, and everything in between. Well, one of my favorite things about my music collection is going out and rummaging through boxes and such at flea markets, garage sales, and record stores for old records. 78's, 45's, 33's, it doesn't matter...I just LOVE records! Well this past weekend I made a trip out to Sour Records (http://www.sourrecords.com/). Sour Records is this great little record shop in Westerville, OH. I've been going to Sour Records on and off for years now, they have a great selection of records and a selection of local/underground/indie music Cd's. They carry new and used vinyl as well as new and used Cd's. They also have a few books, DVDs and VHS Tapes, all music related. Check it out sometime if you're into records at all...Anyway, back to my find. I like to dig around through their used records in the back room
area. Here all of the records are $1.00 each, most of them aren't anything special, but dig a little, and you may find some gems. Here's what I bought:




1) Donnie Iris - The High and The Mighty
- I had to buy this record because I was born near the Ohio/West Virginia/Pennsylvania border, and Donnie Iris is a Pittsburgh native. My family still lives near Pittsburgh, and Donnie Iris plays gigs in Pittsburgh quite frequently. He's also coming to Columbus Saturday, April 21 to the Alrosa Villa...maybe I can get it signed!




2) The Charlie Daniels Band - Midnight Wind (Promotional Copy)
- I got this album because Charlie Daniels is a legend of country music. I love his fiddle playing techniques, and his back country songs and vocals. This is one of his earlier albums, and it has a small CBS Promo record sticker in the upper left hand corner, and the bottom has a sticker from EPIC records that says "Demonstration NOT FOR SALE." But I bought it anyway...



3) Jimmy Buffett - Living and Dying in 3/4 Time
- Come on, it's Jimmy Buffett and it has the songs "Pencil Thin Moustache" and "Come Monday."

4) Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat
- I fell in love with Cat Stevens' music when a friend of mine had me watch "Harold and Maude." I didn't care for the movie all that much, but the song "The Wind" by Cat Stevens became a favorite of mine. It's on this album.

5) The Beach Boys - All Summer Long
- I'm trying to get all of the Beach Boys albums.

6) The Beach Boys - Best of The Beach Boys Vol. 2
- Once again, I'm trying to get all of the Beach Boys albums.

7) Willie Nelson - Willie Nelson and Friends Live
- Everyone knows Willie Nelson, and this album has him jamming out to some of his best songs with his band and a few other famous musicians, LIVE!

8) Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
- Fleetwood Mac was a great band, and Stevie Nicks made Fleetwood Mac who they are. This is a great album of hers, and the copy I purchased seems to have some rare markings.

9) Pure Prairie League - Live! Takin' The Stage
- The song Aimee is another one of my favorites, and I don't have any Pure Prairie League live albums.

10)Alabama - Mountain Music
-I love Alabama. They play some wonderful country music. I had every Alabama album except for this one. Now I have them all. Hasn't everyone heard the song "Mountain Music?" "Oh play me some mountain music, like grandma and grandpa used to play..."

Not too bad of a find if I do say so myself. Overall I bought 10 records at $1.00 a piece for a grand total of $10.00. The jury's still out for now on the actual value of this buy, but as soon as I hit up the "Goldmine Record Album Price Guide" I'll let ya know! I'm guessing right now I have at least $30.00 - $50.00 here easily. At least I hope I do.

Well that's all for today's find. I have plenty more treasures to post on here very very soon. But, in closing, if any of you have old records you're looking to throw out or get rid of, let me know! I'll be glad to take em' off your hands. Because as we all know, one mans trash is another mans treasure! Until next time, HAPPY TREASURE HUNTING!

Labels: , ,

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar | Hurricane Center